Chitika banner

Saturday, September 30, 2006

MP340, blind iTunes and the promise of convergency

I've finally taken the MP340 out of the box and it's sitting on my desk charging. I'm going to leave it there this week-end and explore it more on Monday before the kids clap their eyes on it.

One of the things I did though was connect it to my PC and launch iTunes. Surprise surprise, it didn't see it. I guess this has been written before but I think it's a pretty sneaky move to proprietizing music playback. It's like selling a CD and then only being able to play it back on a player from a single manufacturer. Don't know what's on the accompanying disk but maybe I'll re-install Music Match or Real Player - that should smooth things out.

I suddenly have an issue with Apple's system of patenting everything. Their products are undeniably slick, I'm not so sure I can say the same thing about their business practices.

But I digress. The MP340 is a cute little thing. I'll post about the performance when I've had a chance to play with it a little.

What I like about it so far is what it stands for. Suddenly, Acer is right smack in the middle of mainstream consumer products and convergency as a result is a little bit closer to becoming a reality.

As a concept, convergency is definitely something I'm in to. Bringing the best of both worlds (IT and consumer electronics) together is a killer idea, and I really like that Acer is making the first moves. I mean, there aren't too many Pioneer PCs knocking about are there?

No comments: